Ben Healy and his son, Junior move from Cold River to Mortville to start a new life after Ben's divorce.
Mr. Peabody is the new school principal who screams when Junior walks into his office, and sends him to the sixth grade, calling him a genius. Junior also meets Trixie Young, a girl who's worse than him, and her mother, Annie, the school nurse. Ben meets Annie after suffering a head injury, but when he asks her out for a date, she tells him she can't date anyone because of a problem at home.
Ben wants to remarry and give Junior a new mother, but Junior is against it, and ruins all of his father's dates. Big Ben Healy also moves in, despite hating his son and grandson.
- Michael Oliver as Junior Healy
- John Ritter as Ben Healy
- Jack Warden as Big Ben Healy
- Charlene Tilton as Debbie Claukinski
- Martha Quinn as Emily
- Zach Grenier as Voytek
- Laraine Newman as LaWanda Dumore
- Amy Yasbeck as Annie Young
- Ivyann Schwan as Trixie Young
- Gilbert Gottfried as Mr. Peabody
- James Tolkan as Mr. Thorn
- Kristina Simonds as Rhoda
- Aaron Vaughn as Rhoda's Boyfriend
- Michael Wilkop as 6th Grader Student